Health and Safety Specialist
Reporting to the Manager, Health and Safety Services, the Health and Safety Specialist position will function collaboratively as a member of the Human Resources/Health and Safety team. The Health and Safety Specialist is responsible for the development, implementation, administration and promotion of a broad range of occupational health and safety programs at Humber. The incumbent will:
- Work collaboratively with schools and departments to implement measures to ensure that the College is in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, and other relevant health and safety-related legislation;
- Conduct health and safety assessments and make recommendations for controlling workplace hazards, including those related to chemical safety, biological safety, ergonomics, physical safety and workplace violence;
- Develop, implement and coordinate procedures and activities related to the management and control of hazardous spills and wastes, in keeping with regulatory requirements;
- Provide expertise, advice and guidance to managers, employees and the joint health and safety committees;
- Develop and deliver health and safety education, training courses and promotional programs.
The successful candidate will possess a 3-year College diploma or University degree, along with a minimum of 5 years of relevant and progressive experience in the occupational health and safety field. Preference will be given to candidates who have a designation in the field of safety or occupational hygiene (e.g. ROH, CIH, CRSP) or are working towards this. Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing health and safety programs, conducting hazard assessments and accident investigations, delivering training programs and implementing a chemical safety and hazardous wastes disposal program. The successful candidate will have a strong working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations, as well as familiarity with relevant health, safety and environmental legislation, codes, standards and guidelines. Knowledge of the Environmental Protection Act and Regulations, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act and the First Aid Regulation would be an asset. Additional qualifications include superior verbal and written communication skills; detail-oriented with excellent analytical and organizational skills; experience working in a unionized and diverse environment; proven ability to work effectively in a team-based environment; strong understanding of health and safety best practices with respect to service delivery to client groups; ability to work with sensitive/confidential information; and proficiency with Microsoft Office applications. Experience working in higher education will be considered an asset.
Manager, Health and Safety Services
Duration of Need: 10 months
Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness
Humber North Campus
To Be Determined
Hours of Work:
37.5 hours per week
Apply to this Job