The Centre’s initiatives integrate the complex and often contradictory ways that socially constructed identities intersect and interlock. As such, initiatives extend beyond binaries such as male/female, black/white, gay/straight, able/disabled to include multiple layers of identity that are experienced simultaneously. This intersectional and integrative approach, grounded in a practice of care, is woven throughout all of the Centre’s services.
What We Do
Highten Human Rights and Diversity Awareness
- We provide human rights training and awareness, and prevention education through workshops, library exhibits, and educational resources.
- We deliver a lecture/speaker series with notable presenters on human rights and diversity themes.
- We provide group and one-to-one customized support and resources on human rights and diversity topics.
- We Strengthen Humber's Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee to champion innovative thinking and progress in these areas.
Ensure Legislative Compliance
- We lead and coordinate compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), the Ontario Human Rights Code (1990), and the Employment Equity Act (1995), through specific and targeted educational awareness and communication strategies.
- We promote college-wide initiatives to increase representation of the four employment equity designated groups (women, members of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, and Aboriginal people) among faculty and staff.
Enhance Human Rights and Diversity Communication and Visibility
- We maintain a current and compelling Human Rights & Diversity website that provides comprehensive and current online resources.
- We work collaboratively with the local, national, and international communities, community organizations, and other postsecondary institutions to enhance Humber's visibility.
Ensure Timely Complaints Resolution
- We provide early intervention into human rights related concerns, through provision of information, investigation, conciliation and referrals to internal and external resources.